Monday, September 14, 2009

Christians and Rulers

"Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men." Titus 3:1-2

In 1 Timothy 3 we are reminded to pray for our rulers and here we are called to submit to their authority. Perhaps we need to especially note the words "to slander no one." We are blessed to live in a free society where we can disagree out loud with our leaders. We are free to express our opinions and cast our votes. But at the same time as Christ followers we are obilgated to speak respectfully of our leaders, pray for them, and submit to their proper exercise of authority. We should do everything we can to positively influence our government but we must do it in a way that glorifies Christ.

Father, my all my speech and conduct in regard to those who lead our country bring glory to Christ and edify the people near me.

I'm praying for you.
Pastor Mark

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you touch on this. It can be difficult when we struggle with differing opinions; a call to remain Christ honoring is an important thing to remember in all things, but certainly politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Pastor Mark,
    I am guilty of speaking disrespectively of our current leaders in the White HOuse. Thank you for reminding me that my ultimate goal is to glorify God. I was reading in Job that God is sovereign over the rulers of this world. When I read that it helped me to know my trust is in the almighty ruler of everything He made. It helped me to not be angry with what seems to be out of control but to trust Him who is omnicient, omnipresent, and omnipotent. Love in
    Christ Francie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. Our natural tendency seems to be disrespectful towards those we disagree with. Our Christian character is challenged and shaped when we find ourself disagreeable with those who lead us. May we all learn to hold our convictions and speak our opinions while properly honoring our leaders and glorifying our God.

    Pastor Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this reminder of God's soverignty. I have found myself feeling at a loss when I see our government moving the way it is. This has helped remind me of the one who is REALLY in control.

    ReplyDelete