Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Good Shepherd

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd sacrifices his life for the sheep." John 10:11

"I am the good shepherd; I know my own sheep, and they know me" John 10:14

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me." John 10:27

Any good shepherd would go through anything to protect his flock. As I read these verses there were a couple of key points that stood out to me.

In John 10:11, Christ tells us that "the good shepherd sacrifices his life for the sheep." Wow, this verse is a reminder of the amazing sacrifice that Christ suffered on the cross for His sheep.

In John 10:14, Christ tells us "I know my own sheep, and they know me." Words of encouragment. I want to be known by Christ, I don't want to just know about Christ.

In John 10:27, Christ tells us "I know them and they follow me." This was the verse that hit the hardest. I have to ask myself am I truly following Christ? Many times I tend to get on the wrong trail and I am reminded by this verse that I am to be following Christ. Not easy but eternally worthwhile.

Father, thank you for being the good shepherd. I must admit, there are days when I fail miserably in following you and I confess it's because of my sinful desire to stray down the wrong path. Help me to listen to your voice and follow the GREAT Shepherd.

Your Servant
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment