Monday, November 8, 2010

How Great is Our Love?

"I will not speak with you much longer, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold on me, but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me." John 14:30-31

Jesus spoke these words on the night before His crucifixion. "I will not speak with you much longer" points toward His coming death and departure from this world--the completion of His mission. But Jesus made it clear that His death would not be the result of "the prince of this world" (Satan) having the upper hand on Him. Much to the contrary, it would be because of His love for the Father that Jesus would die. Through obedience even to the point of death Jesus demonstrated His love for the Father to the world.

Earlier Jesus had said, "If you love me, you will obey what I command" (14:15, see also verses 21 and 23). The disciple's love for Jesus will be reflected in the same way that Jesus demostrated His love for the Father which is through obedience at any cost. How truly can we claim to love Him?

Father, show me any lack of obedience in my life. Convict me of any failure to fully love Jesus with full obedience to His commands. As He so faithfully loved You, help me to love Him.

I'm praying for you.
Pastor Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment