Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Slave or Free?

"They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity--for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him." 2 Peter 2:19

False teachers promise freedom in lustful pleasures but in fact they lead people into slavery. We may imagine that freedom is living without boundaries, doing what we want, but in the end we become slaves to our pleasures and we are never able to satisfy them.

As much as we may desire to be the master of our own destiny the truth is "a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him." I can either be a slave to sin or to Jesus Christ. Peter declared himself "a slave of Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 1:1; although the NIV translates 1:1 with the word "servant" it is the same Greek word for "slave" that is used here in 2:19). I too declare myself "a slave of Jesus Christ" for under the mastery of Jesus I am truly free to live. Within His boundaries is true freedom.

Father, I gladly call myself a slave of Jesus Christ. Help me to live today mastered by Jesus and so to walk in Your freedom.

I'm praying for you.
Pastor Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment