Monday, October 12, 2009

Called to be Holy

"But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written, 'Be holy, because I am holy." 1 Peter 1:15-16

What a rich chapter 1 Peter 1 is! The question is not what to highlight but what not to highlight. I chose the verses above for comment because of their impact on my spiritual growth.

As a college student, I struggled with a particular temptation. I memorized 1 Peter 1:15-16 to help me in that struggle because Psalm 119:11 says, "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Every time that particular temptation raised its ugly head I quoted these verses to remind myself of God's call to holy living and then I would pray for God's strength to be holy in this area of my life. Through Scripture and prayer I found victory over sin!

God is holy and those who want to live close to Him must be holy. If we trifle with sin we will not walk close to God. But if we understand His character, take His call to holiness seriously, and rely on His strength we can be victorious over sin and walk close to our Holy God.

Father, I praise Your holiness and I desire to live holy. Grant me the strength and grace through Scripture, prayer, and the work of the Holy Spirit to be holy as You are holy.

I'm praying for you.
Pastor Mark

1 comment:

  1. Good Morning Pastor Mark,
    Thank you for sharing your previous struggles. I to agree with you that without constantly being in the presence of God through prayer and reading and meditating on His Holy word I would so easily follow the dictates of my flesh. When I came of vacation I missed my daily time with the Lord for a few days and my oh my I could see myself falling into ways that was not pleasing to God. "I need the every hour, O precious Lord."" Love in Christ Francie

    ReplyDelete