Monday, October 5, 2009

Doing the Word

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." James 1:22

Reading God's Word and to listening to the teaching of God's Word provides the opportunity for spiritual growth to take place in our life. But if we stop with reading and hearing the Word we have not finished the task.

Too often we are self-deceived thinking that we have done our duty toward God by reading, hearing, even studying Scripture while God is looking for obedience. It is obedience that seizes the opportunity for growth that reading and hearing the Word provides. It is obedience that expresses true love for God. "If you love me you will obey what I command" (John 14:15).

We who have committed ourselves to reading Scripture must make sure that we complete the task by doing Scripture in our daily life. As you read ask, "What is God saying to me through this Scripture?" and "What would God have me to do with this word from Scripture?" Once you can answer those two questions be a doer of the Word.

Father, may my delight to read Your Word be equaled by delight to do it. As I read show me what you would have me to do and create in me a willing heart to obey.

I'm praying for you.
Pastor Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment