Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Selective Hearing

“There is still one prophet through whom we can inquire of the LORD, but I hate him because he never prophesies anything good about me, but always bad. He is Micaiah son of Imlah.” - 2 Chronicles 18:7

Ahab did not want to consult Micaiah, and he didn't hide the reason why he didn't want to ask him either. Micaiah was a godly prophet and when he spoke for God it often went against the king's wishes. So Ahab would seek counsel from his 400 prophets because he knew that they would tell him what he wanted to hear. They were "Yes Men." Micaiah was not, he told Ahab of a vision he had that prophesied Israel's defeat and Ahab's death. (Definitely not the news he wanted to hear). Micaiah even told Ahab that God was using his prophets to trick him into a battle he would loose. But Ahab already had his mind. So they went to battle and lost, and Ahab was killed.

It does us no good to seek godly wisdom or hear godly counsel if we've already made up our minds about what we want to do. So when you pray, when you ask Christian brothers and sisters for advice and when you read the Word or listen to it being taught make sure that you are open to hearing the things God wants to tell you. Otherwise you might miss the warning like Ahab.

Father give me a teachable spirit. Help me to humble myself and trust in your wisdom. Lord, I lay down my own rights, my ambitions, my knowledge and my wisdom. Help me to submit to your will as you reveal it to me.

By His grace,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment