Monday, March 16, 2009

Consider Carefully How You Listen

“He who has ears to hear, let him hear.” Luke 8:8


Luke 8:5-15 is often referred to as the “Parable of the Sower” just as it is in the subheadings of our First Light New Testaments, but this is a misleading description because the primarily emphasis of this parable is not the sower but the soils. This teaching is about the different responses people have to hearing the word of God. In his explanation (v.11-15) Jesus describes the responses of each of the hearers of the word.


What we must understand is that there are two types of hearing: the kind we do with our physical ears and the kind we do with the spiritual ears of our hearts.


What is your heart’s response to hearing the word of God?


What kind of soil are you?


Father give me the spiritual ears I need to understand your word. My prayer is the same as that of the Psamlist, "Teach me, O Lord, to follow your decrees; then I will keep them to the end. Give me understanding, then I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart. Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight. Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain. Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word." 119:33-37

No comments:

Post a Comment