Monday, March 30, 2009

"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.' [Jesus commented], 'I tell you that this man, rather than the other [the Pharisee] went home justified before God.'" Luke 18:13-14

We all need God's mercy but sometimes we become so proud of our spirituality that we become self-confident rather than God-dependent. It is the humble, God-dependent people who find their life filled with God's mercy. The proud, self-confident people find their life filled with distorted, sinful self-centeredness. Whether we are a "notorious sinner" or a "self-righteous Pharisee" we stand in equal need of God's mercy. Either way we can receive such mercy and the joy of a right relationship with God if we will simply pray, "God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

Father God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

I'm praying for you.
Pastor Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment