Sunday, February 8, 2009

Extravagant Worship

"Aware of this [the disciples' indignation], Jesus said to them, 'Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me.'" Matthew 26:10

The woman's gift of expensive perfume poured over the head of Jesus was an extravagant expression of love and gratitude. The indignant disciples loved Jesus also but with reserve. They believed that expressions of worship should be kept within the limits of reason. But reserved and limited worship is out of place when loving the one who poured out Himself without reserve or limit on our behalf. The woman was ahead of the disciples in this matter and Jesus affirmed her extravagant act of love. We should neither be critical of those whose worship and service to Christ is lavish nor reserved in our own expressions of worship and service. Are we still holding something back?

Father, help me to lay reserve aside to love Him without reserve who so loved me.

I'm praying for you.
Pastor Mark

2 comments:

  1. Matthew 26:41 "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.

    I find that in my daily walk that if I don't make the time to pray in the morning that my whole day is off. It is like I let Satan into my thought process and he is short circuting them. And the Watch part of the verse reminds me that at any moment Jesus could return and I don't want to be doing something, saying something or acting in a way that I would be ashamed if I was to hear the trumpet and shout. So yes my spirit is willing but my flesh is weak. The prayer I pray in the morning and throughout the day keeps me close and on track with my saviour.

    Father, thank you for my salvation and for talking with me each morning, ordering my day and protecting me wherever I go.

    Stephanie Payne

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a long chapter filled with drama, declaration, sacrifice, honor, deceit, preparation, denial, fear, remorse, prayer, strength, prophecy, pride, agony, collapsed dreams, sorrow, healing, brutal questioning, false witnesses, and silence. Then the high priest charges Jesus under oath to tell him if He is the Christ, the Son of God. “Yes, it is as you say.” His words were true. He did not blaspheme. Sometimes the truth is more that we can comprehend.
    I think about Jesus’ last week and that He already knew what was going to happen. It all came down to this week. From our perspectives there are only a few positives in this chapter. The prayer at Gethsemane and fellowship with the Father gave Him the strength to endure the rest.
    He invited his disciples to keep watch with Him, but they were tired. I wonder how many tired times have kept me from watching as I should. It seems like this is a chapter about priorities and focus. And, let us not forget - SURRENDER. What powerful things could God do through us if we submit to His will? What must have been the disciples thoughts as they cowardly snuck through he trees to safety? Maybe Jesus stayed focus on the Father’s will because He prayed. The disciples did not pray and were not ready. That could be a lesson for each of us.

    ReplyDelete