Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Does your Walk match your Talk

Matthew 23:3 (NIV)
"So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach."

We have all heard this statement before, "practice what you preach". Christ is getting at the heart of the Pharisees ministry as he is addressing the idea that they do not practice what they preach. How many times have we been accused of this statement. Generally in America, Christians are labeled as hyprocites. This is someone who says one thing but does another. We have thousands of people who attend church on Sunday, claim Christ is the center of their life, then live a completly different lifestyle throughout the week. As I read this chapter it was very convicting for myself. Does my lifestyle bring honor and glory to Christ? Would someone who does not know me be able to see Christ in my life by the actions and lifestyle I live. Or am I too proud to humble myself before Christ and realize that my walk may not match my talk.

God, grant me the wisdom to realize what areas in my life that I need to change. Father, I pray that my life would shine as a light that brings honor and glory to You. Help me to get out of the way so that you can become the Center Point of my life.

Your Servant
Chris

5 comments:

  1. Jesus called the Pharisees “hypocrites” at least six times in this Chapter. He implied it even more times. Jesus warns the people to do what the Pharisees tell them about the Law but avoid following their example. Pride had invaded the camp of the Pharisees and caused them to value more the praise of men than obedience to God’s ways. Title, position, honor, the best seat, all were the pursuit of the Pharisees. With two sentences, Jesus exhorts the crowd that the greatest among them will be the one who serves. To exalt self is to set yourself up to be humbled, but humbling yourself means you will be exalted. In this passage Jesus chided the Pharisees for saying one thing and doing another. He lays some pretty strong accusations on them for the way they have been irresponsible representatives of God. With each pronouncement of “Woe” and “you hypocrites,” Jesus identifies yet another way the Pharisees have misguided the people and misused their office. I can imagine the sadness of Jesus as He passionately describes His wanting to gather them together, but they were not willing. Learning to be humble, to serve others, and live morally, ethically, and with integrity only begin to identify responsibility to God. I also think it has something do with doing it with our whole heart, as unto the Lord. This Chapter is full of tragedy and so it is when we get our eyes off of the High Calling in Jesus. We are not here to make a name for ourselves or selfishly hoard things so we can say we are something. Maybe a new life of purpose could be ours if we focused more on helping others with their heavy loads and sharing the blessings and love of God with those in need. “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suppose the simple message of this chapter is how not to serve God. Interestingly the word hypocrite used throughout the chapter means [actor].

    Dear gracious and heavenly Father, please help me to always be alert to my own interpretations of Your Holy Scriptures, led through Your Holy Spirit. That earthly ideas or traditions add or take away nothing from Your words, or else an actor I become. Help us dear Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt. 23:11-12 are key verses to me in that they once again remind me to stay humble and keep a servant attitude. Whenever people start becoming too proud and full of themselves they lean less on God and more on themselves...that's where real danger begins-that's what Satan wants Christians to believe-that they can do without God. We would all do well to remember that without God leading, guiding, and directing and our diligent following, we WILL fail. Without Him we would be nothing, just like the old hymn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt 23:37 was the verse that I focused on. Jesus just called out the scribes and Pharisees and had some harsh words for them. Yet we see in this verse that he does not hate them. He loves them and wants them to repent. He even wept for them. I think I am the same as the Pharisees. I do things that go against God (sin). He is not happy about that but He still loves me and calls me to repent.

    Thank you, Lord, for your love and grace and for forgiving me again and again.

    ReplyDelete